Dear BLT-(Biggest Loser Team),
I had 12 clients today and after 12 hours on your feet it can be brutal but always rewarding. As we all go to the gym to make this transformation for life, we carry many years of baggage as well. I listen to everything from, if my husband would just come home and watch the screaming kids for one hour and see what it is like in the eyes of a mother, or I use to be a gymnast and I was a size 2 and I can't believe I weigh 220.
Life can be rough but that's why you hire a trainer, someone you can trust, a sounding board, someone that is compassionate, one that will listen but also that trainer who can be creative and make the workout fun.
I have been into fitness for 13 years and everyday is new. I have to be honest, today was very emotional for me. Let me tell you why. After my last client walked in and showed me her food journal and I sat down with her to talk about why she makes the crazy food choices that continue to make the scale go off the chart, we will call her Lizzy to be safe. Lizzy has struggled all her life with a eating disorder.
You see her parents went through a divorce years ago and she has used food as a comfort food. When it time to make a good choice she will bounce the idea back and forth until she justifies her choice. It's easy to do because she has programmed herself to have that stinkin-thinkin as Zig Ziglar use to say. Lizzy has struggled for months and doesn't want her family members to tell her what she can or can't eat. She will tell me at least I am working out even though I haven't lost any weight.
As we were on the floor getting ready to start a set of ab workout, I said Lizzy, I believe there is something about you that I can't grasp my hands on. You workout harder then anyone I know. I understand that you struggle with your food but I believe in you and I will always be here to help you when you are ready to help yourself. As I looked into her eyes and felt a warm connection, as tears ran down her face, I clutched her hand and said you can do this. You see, thats the connection and love you must have being a trainer. You need to make the connection. As we went back to working out, I fought back the tears as I broke down a wall of fear tonight. As Lizzy came over to tell me good bye we embraced and I said, you can do this, see you later!
I am now in my car and giving a silent prayer to God for blessing me with the ability to help someone change their today, as tears streamed down my face knowing that Lizzy blessed my life as well.
I hope you will all make the connection, whether it be with your trainer, a family member or with God, do it for yourself because I believe in you!
DJ
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment